How Much Can a 2021 Ford Explorer Tow
What is the Ford Explorer towing capacity? The 2021 Ford Explorer can tow up to 5,600 pounds when properly equipped. This model also provides impressive cargo space and seating for up to seven passengers. What’s more, the new Explorer lineup features a hybrid SUV that is also capable of hauling large loads while still maintaining strong fuel economy returns. Learn more about how much a 2021 Ford Explorer can tow and more with our team at Sunset Ford Waterloo today.
Ford Explorer Engine Options
So, how much can a Ford Explorer tow with certain engine options? Take a look at the Ford Explorer engine options below to see how they affect the Ford Explorer towing capacity overall:
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: Rated at 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, this engine helps the Explorer to tow up to 5,300 pounds when properly equipped.
- 3.0L EcoBoost® V6: Thanks to a 10-speed automatic transmission, twin turbos, and direct injection, expect up to 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque on Platinum trims, whereas this engine on ST trims experiences a power boost to 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. When powered by this V6, the Explorer can tow up to 5,600 pounds.
- 3.3L Hybrid: Despite its fuel-efficient capabilities, the Explorer’s hybrid powertrain still allows Waterloo drivers to tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Ford Explorer Towing Features
Make the most out of your 2021 Ford Explorer towing capacity when you take advantage of the following towing and drivetrain features this model has to offer:
- Rear-wheel drive: Not only does the new-for-2020 drivetrain give the 2021 Explorer a sportier appearance, but it also improves driving capabilities and towing capacity by 600 pounds compared to previous models.
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: This system brakes selectively and adjusts engine power to ensure trailer control and stability.
- Sidewind Stabilization: This program counteracts strong winds, keeping you in control rather than having to fight the wind.
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Switch between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes for ultimate control on local roads.
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ monitors yaw and roll rates using gyroscopic sensors, and helps retain control in the event of wheel-slip, understeer, or oversteer. It also includes Curve Control, which slows the Explorer’s speed during tight cornering.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Equip your Ford Explorer with this package for maximum towing capabilities. It has 2.3L EcoBoost® and 3.3L hybrid engines, but it comes standard with the 3.0L EcoBoost® engine.
Test Drive the Ford Explorer at Sunset Ford Waterloo!
Get behind the wheel of your favorite Ford Explorer trim level today with our team! Our finance experts can help you start the financing process online as well as search through our vehicle specials for additional savings. Contact our team in the meantime with any questions.